One resident of the building was held by police under suspicion of arson, but the investigation has since concluded no criminal activity took place. It is most likely that the fire was caused by a faulty electrical appliance.
It is unlikely any charges will be brought in the case, the capital region police force’s Heimir Ríkharðsson confirmed with RÚV this afternoon.
The building is registered as a commercial property and is not certified as a residential building. It was nevertheless used as apartments and 14 people were in the building when the fire broke out. Nobody was injured.