Athugið þessi frétt er meira en mánaðargömul.

Iceland narrowly lose while England lose players

07.09.2020 - 14:06
Mynd með færslu
 Mynd: Mummi Lú - RÚV
Iceland and England’s men’s national football teams met in Reykjavík this Saturday for the first match in their UEFA Nations League campaigns. It was a gentle game and the Icelanders can be satisfied with their performance—despite losing on a penalty. Meanwhile, two English players are in hot water for breaking quarantine rules.

According to DV’s website, Manchester United’s Mason Greenwood and Manchester City’s Phil Foden broke quarantine rules by inviting Icelandic girls to their hotel in Reykjavík. The team left the country today after three days in Iceland. reports that the two players invited Icelandic girls to their hotel at the weekend and that it has evidence to prove this, including interviews with the women. The visitors did not breach the English quarantine zone in the hotel, instead booking their own rooms and having the two players visit them there. Sky reports that neither player appeared to be with their teammates during their training session this morning at Laugardalsvöllur stadium. 

The English national football team was in so-called working quarantine in Iceland, which meant the players and staff were exempt from border testing and five-day quarantine rules in exchange for not leaving their hotel except to attend training and the match, and not meeting up with people from outside their group. 

Foden and Greenwood both played in the match on Saturday and it was both of their first cap for the national A-side. They will have to wait a while for their second appearances, though, as British media including The Times today report they are not travelling to Copenhagen today for tomorrow’s match against Denmark. The English duo can also expect to face fines from the Icelandic authorities. 

The match on Saturday itself was a fairly gentle affair and one in which the Icelanders kept pace with their high-profile visitors and kept a largely fair 0-0 score line almost to the end. A foul inside the box gifted England a penalty near the end, which saw Sverrir Ingi Ingason sent off for receiving his second yellow card, and Raheem Sterling score to put England ahead at the end of normal play. 

Almost immediately afterwards, Hólmbert Aron Friðjónsson, newly substituted into the game, was fouled in the goal mouth by Joe Gomez and was also awarded a penalty. Birkir Bjarnason’s shot was weak, however, and the ball went over the goal. It proved to the be shot that sealed a frustrating defeat for Iceland, who go pointless into their second game against Belgium tomorrow (Tuesday).

Click to follow RÚV English on Facebook.